Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Week 6, Thing 15 Web 2.0 Perspectives

My take on one of the points in the second reading...Librarian 2.0 plans for their users:

I agree that we really need to increase training opportunities for library users in the areas of word processing, especially for our older customers, and internet use (not just Google, but Web 2.0, such as what we are being exposed to in 23 Things. We do offer classes in how to use our on-line catalog and our databases, but very few take advantage of that, since most people can figure it out on their own. However, more and more often we are getting questions about the above-mentioned areas, some of which we can answer, and many of which a lot of us cannot, as we are part of that group of older individuals who NEED the training. 23 Things has helped me to at least become aware of many things that are out there in "Internet-land", but much of my comprehension of these "things" has been superficial, since a) I do not really understand much of what you would need to know to fully participate in the "things', and b) in my limited time in which to accomplish 23 Things, I have not been able to add to my background store of computer/internet knowledge sufficiently TO participate fully. That said, I do NOT think the training which I am referring to should be given by our current information staff, but rather, it should be done by our IT staff - it would not be possible with the current staffing, but it could and should be expanded in order to accomplish this.

No comments: